Monday, June 14, 2010

No Reservations


The title "No Reservations" comes from one of my favorite travelers/television personalities, Anthony Bourdain. His show on the Travel Channel has been a wonderful source of encouragement and inspiration for a long time now. His jaded and cynical view of the world is only slightly less entertaining than his absolute revere toward every aspect of his host culture. His way with words conveys even the most complex of ideas effortlessly and entertainingly while still using his mental sharpness to cut his adversaries to the core. I secretly aspire to feel the same towards any host culture I encounter in the future - especially now, as I am making plans to travel to England for a year. I'm working towards my PhD in Music Performance and Education and I have felt for a long time that traveling to another country, maybe especially to get my Master's, has been just the thing I need. There are many emotions surrounding this chapter of my life: excitement, anticipation, nervousness, doubt, etc. But we can save the therapy session for another time.

I thought that the reason behind the title was justified, and at least somewhat interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment